Take Action! Join the Campaign to End the Disability Digital Divide.
Internet For All Now
Recommendation to the FCC for the Broadband Lifeline Program
Endorsement Form – July 2015
Internet For All Now is urging the Federal Communications Commission to establish an affordable Broadband Lifeline Program through reform of the Universal Services Fund that addresses the 3 primary barriers to broadband adoption: (1) Cost; (2) Relevance; and (3) Digital Literacy. The following are the key components of an effective Broadband Lifeline Program:
- Establishment of an affordable high‐speed Internet service plan for all low‐income households offered by and through all broadband providers (in the $10/month range) with sufficient speeds and a wireless modem for compatibility with school‐issued devices. A Broadband Lifeline Program should augment Telephone Lifeline and not force consumers to choose between the two necessary technologies and programs.
- Capitalization of an independent fund to support community‐based organizations (CBOs), schools and libraries (as “trusted messengers”) to assist in enrolling eligible low‐income households and participate in true public‐private partnerships:
- Amount of capitalization and length of time set according to adopted goals for broadband adoption (such as 80% broadband adoption by 2020).
- Administered through state regulatory commissions that opt in (a multi‐state fund for rest of nation) with fund managers selected through an open, competitive process administered by an appropriate state agency.
- Performance‐based grants with accountability for results (subscriptions).
- Establishment of an oversight advisory body to ensure transparency and accountability with a broad base of stakeholders and community leaders knowledgeable about broadband adoption.
You are invited to support Internet For All Now and join the growing coalition of organizations and prominent civic leaders urging the FCC to adopt these recommendations by signing the form on the back.
Internet For All Now
Please include me as a supporter of Internet For All Now!
I endorse the recommendations to the FCC.
You may list my name on the IFAN website and in correspondence to the FCC.
What we have to say
Organizations in Support
- National Disability Rights Network
- Area 4 Agency on Aging
- Falls Prevention Coalition of Nevada County
- Disability Rights Education Defense Fund
- Center for Disability Rights
- World Institute on Disability
- Disability Rights Center
- Senior and Disability Action
- Access Living
- ADAPT Montana
- Boston Center for Independent living
- Services Center for Independent Living
- Rolling Start, Inc.
- Resources for Independent Living
- Placer Independent Resource Services
- Access to Independence
- Marin Center for Independent Living
- Independent Living Resources, Concord
- Community Resources for Independent Living
- Center for Independent Living
- Disability Resource Center
- Resources for Independence, Central Valley
- Silicon Valley Independent Living Center
- Central Coast Center for Independent Living
- FREED Center for Independent Living
- Independent Living Resources Center, Santa Barbara
- California Association of Public Authorities for IHSS
- Center for Independence of Individuals with Disabilities
Want to be one of the supporters to endorse Internet for All?
Click the button below to have your name or your organizations name added to our list of endorsers!
For additional information or questions related to the Digital Access Project please contact us
at (916) 325-1690 / (916) 325-1695 or email us at [email protected].